Monday, September 3, 2012

Two Angelas

Labor Day! Woot! A no-work Monday, and I hope you're all enjoying it. Are you with family and/or friends? Are you getting some stuff done around the house? It's a nice day for either option. Us? We've chosen the latter as we just got back from South Bend.

I went for a run this morning: Four steady miles, then half a mile of walking lunges/sprinting. (<—Oh, burn.) Then we hit the grocery store. Now, Jason is doing some yard work and I'm working on the computer and keeping up with the laundry. Hannah, well...little lazy bones is asleep. Speaking of. She is eight months old today.

I can't even handle it.

Time is certainly flying. My girl is THIS CLOSE to crawling. In fact, she's somewhat mastered both the plank and Downward-Facing Dog in her attempts to put one knee forward at a time. I'm so proud.

I'm also quite proud of my best friend.



Her name is Angela and she's one of two Angelas that I'd like to tell you about today...

Angela, My Best Friend

She got married this weekend, and I was one super-happy Matron-of-Honor. She and I met in Kindergarten and have been sisterly close ever since. She's the kind of person I can turn to no matter what. She's the kind of person I can sit with in silence and still, somehow have a conversation. We haven't always lived in the same city or gone to the same schools, but that never mattered and it still doesn't. We pick right up whether we've seen each other yesterday or last month. And I am so happy for her because she married a great guy. He's tons of fun, has a heart of gold and is really fun to pick on. (Don't worry, he dishes it back.) I can't wait to watch them continue to grow as a couple.

She looked beautiful, he looked handsome. Ugh, I just love weddings. (To all of my unmarried college friends, I'm hinting at you right now...)

Ready for Angela #2? Let's shift gears, from person to place.

Angela, My First Gym

I heart Angela Athletic Center so much. It's not very often that I get to visit my old stomping grounds otherwise known as Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN. I mean, it's in South Bend, but whenever we're down there we are inevitably doing something without much free time.

We got into town early on Friday so I snuck on over while Hannah took a nap.

And...sigh.

Saint Mary's is my home away from home. I think it always will be. I get so sentimental even thinking about thinking about it. Angela was the very first gym I had access to, and it's where I really cultivated my love for all things fitness. Before Saint Mary's, my workouts consisted of weekly cheerleading practices and the occasional tumbling class. I hated running, wouldn't have even thought about picking up a weight, and then I got to Saint Mary's where suddenly I had open access to anything and everything I'd ever want to use to get and keep myself into shape. I could even take fitness classes for credit which, come to think of it, I never did <—I don't even know why. But I made to time to visit Angela as often as my schedule and my body would allow it. It's where I first got bored running on a dreadmill. It's where I first discovered the power of free weights. And it's where I first learned how to properly set up a machine. Gosh, the memories.

And, yeah—I even did some cheerleading down on that basketball court. Saint Mary's didn't have a cheerleading squad, but we started one my Freshman year, debuting at the first basketball game my Sophomore year. So fun.

I miss it.

Terribly.

And I'm so grateful that it's so close...close enough to visit whenever I've got the time. And if I don't have the time, all I have to do is close my eyes because I remember everything as if I was there just yesterday.

Let's not talk about the fact that my ten-year reunion is next summer.

I'm so old.

Question: Do you remember the first gym you ever joined, or the first time you really discovered fitness and working out? Tell me about it.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

TEN YEARS?!?!?! impossible.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...