Monday, September 24, 2012

Hot Chocolate 15K Training Plan

Last time I trained for a race of significant mileage, I was neither personal trainer nor mother. I could train as I saw fit, based only around my schedule at a part-time job. And eventually the weekly schedule of my certification course. So it was fairly easy to fit everything (life and training) in. But this time around, I wear both of the aforementioned hats which has proven to be quite a scheduling challenge. Albeit one I readily accept, but still. I can't shift around the three classes I teach, and I get a very small window at night and on the weekends into which I can log a few miles.

But I think I've figured it out:

Weeks 3 and 4 will be odd.

Week 3: I have to substitute a 6:00AM Circuit Sculpt, and I will be taking my Spinning certification course that requires two 60-minute classes in one day. I fully expect that day to drain me, so I won't be logging any major miles that following Sunday.

Week 4: I'll be away for a bit. Somewhere fun, and you know how fun can suck the life out of your interest in exercising. But I'm bound and determined not to let it. I keep telling myself this: New scenery for longer runs!

We'll see how it goes.

In essence, what you see above is a guide, and one that I'm fully prepared to alter as needed. But so far, training has been going well. I logged six miles in under one hour last Thursday, and I logged another five on Sunday. So this weekend, I'll log another six, and then it'll be up from there.

UPDATE (2/20/13): As I expected, there were definitely some glitches along the way in terms of clocking the right miles, but I ended up running a great race. And having a really great time, too.

Question: What are some of the scheduling conflicts you consistently experience when it comes to getting in workouts? And how do you overcome them?


2 comments:

Kelly McNelis said...

Two little toddlers! My saving grace is my treadmill. I can run while they're playing nearby or napping.

adailydoseoffit said...

Ah, yes. The "dreadmill"...how do you manage to log extended miles on it? I always get so bored.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...