Monday, October 18, 2010

Running with Leaves

Something about fall makes me want to get out there and run. This gorgeous weather inspires my feet in ways that summer and (obviously) winter do not. It might be the crisp, cool air that flows steadily through my lungs. It might be the sunshine that makes the dying leaves glow like golden flakes. It might be those same dying leaves, dead on the ground, rustling and crunching on the sidewalk underneath my feet. Or maybe I just know that winter is coming and my outside exercise time is limited.

Bottom line is that I'm running on the same sidewalks, passing by the same scenes and yet—everything is different. Almost more inviting, and dare I even say cozy? I just love this time of year! Don't you?

If you haven't yet done so, get out there and enjoy it. Forgo the treadmill, put on your cold weather fitness gear and start going on daily runs (or walks) around your neighborhood. Take a mental picture of every tree you pass by, as it might be totally different the next around, what with the rate the leaves are falling these days. Speaking of leaves, listen closely to them crunching underneath your feet as you complete mile after mile. (Love that sound! Just be careful if they're wet.) And don't, under any circumstance, forget to check out the houses you pass by—I love Halloween decorations! Just yesterday as we walked through Target, Jason said to me: "Honey, just so you know, when we have a house I'm gonna go crazy with the Halloween decorations." Fine by me.

Fall is a great time to really push your cardio routine because you can get out there without having to worry about overheating. Or breathing in hot, humid and often sticky air. Crisp, cool weather is great for runners and walkers alike, as the air it brings moves through the lungs with ease. Now's the time to see if you can go one more mile, or to see if you can add some running to your walking regime.

And just so you know, Old Man Winter is making his way toward us. He has that funny way of forcing us to retreat inside. Let's face it, the treadmill is not nearly as inspiring as a sidewalk, which means you can't waste anymore outside time! So, go...have a run. Or a walk. It's that time of year.

Question: Have you changed your fitness routine at all since summer turned to fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...