Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats

So, I might have made my best batch of overnight oats last week. They really were truly at a level of deliciousness I've never quite achieved before. Think apples and peanut butter with a touch of cinnamon.

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Ingredients:
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp wheat germ
1/2 tsp ground flaxseed
1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk.)
1 small apple, shredded (I used a Red Delicious.)
1/2 banana, mashed
Pinch or two of cinnamon
1 tbsp nut butter (I used almond butter.)
1 tsp chia seeds
Directions:
Mix oatmeal through cinnamon in a cereal bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator. Let it sit through the night. Sleep well, then wake up and top with nut butter and chia seeds. Eat it with a spoon as you contemplate your day.

So easy. I've also made this warm, which is quite like a nice slice of apple pie. Just cook dry ingredients accordingly using 1/4 cup of water, adding the apple and the banana at the last minute. Stir until it reaches a consistency you like, then spoon it into a bowl. Top with a splash of almond milk, then nut butter and chia seeds. Stir and enjoy!

If you're wondering, my apple supply is dwindling. I can almost see the bottom of my fruit crisper, just have to look past one or two Goldens and it's there. Such a great time of year, no? Summer's sweet fruits take us right into the many flavors of fall's produce. I can't get over it—neither can my stomach!

 Tomorrow, I get back to my roots and focus on fitness. I promise.

Question: What are your favorite fall foods?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Roasted root veggies and roasted butternut squash and onion with sage. Mmmmmm. Oh, chili too.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...