Thursday, March 17, 2011

An Ironic Delivery

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Are you wearing green? I am, but it's really not masking my red throat. It hurts so bad! And yes, I realize how dramatic that sounds. But it really does hurt and I can't stand it. Nor can my body as it's currently protesting my daily efforts by taking away all possible amounts of energy. Needless to say, I did not make it through my Wednesday. I left the gym around 10:00AM, before which I completely cleared my schedule.

After which, I came home and promptly plopped myself onto the couch to watch the last half of Paris When it Sizzles. It's an old Audrey Hepburn movie, obviously I'm a huge fan. (I die for Breakfast at Tiffany's every time.) I am not, however, a huge fan of taking medication unless I absolutely have to. In an effort to prevent the increase of whatever virus I've picked up, I took a 24-hour cold pill that still hadn't worn off when I got home. So I couldn't take anything else. Nor did I really want to. But I did, however, get this lovely (and absolutely ironic) delivery in the mail.


Have you ever heard of AllYou? It's a magazine commonly found at the check-out in the grocery store. It primarily targets women, but they offer up free samples every day on their website. And since I'm human, I love getting freebies. I think you might, too. Man or woman! So a month ago, Emergen-C  was the freebie. Ironic that this lovely little mailer came yesterday. The day I got sick. Right? Double ironic that a fellow trainer recommended I get my hands on some. You know, because of all the Vitamin C it can offer up. So, needless to say, I dove right into my 1,000mg of Vitamin C right quick. (Well, with a little hesitation. The word "fizzy" isn't a descriptor I commonly apply to my beverages of choice, and I was worried it would taste like chemicals. But I digress...) The pour:


The results were actually quite tasty. Not the slightest hint of chemical, and it was super cold which felt really good on my scratchy throat. Now, I realize that the benefits of taking Vitamin C are argued to be unproven, but it can't hurt me. According to WebMD, the highest recommended dosage is 2,000mg—which I am nowhere near with this 1,000mg packet. And even if it can't cure my cold, it will help my bones and muscles. So that's a bonus. As always, you should talk to your doctor before taking any vitamin- or mineral-based supplement. Only they can truly tell you if it's worth it. One thing I can tell you: Athenos Greek yogurt is not worth your money.

I was super excited to find it at the grocery store a few days ago because A) I love their hummus and B) I love Greek yogurt. But I am not a fan. I really am not. Let's take a closer look at the ingredients.

Boo to the sugar and corn starch. And what, exactly, is "natural flavor"? I don't know. I always try to avoid these ingredients when I pick up yogurt, because with them, yogurt so quickly turns into a dessert. One thing's for sure, it certainly looked good.

It tasted good, too. But that's not always a good indicator of something actually being good for you. I do suppose, however, that there are worse things you could be eating. Regardless, I think I'll stick to my Siggi's.

Perhaps the extra Vitamin C, too.

Question: Is there one ingredient you try to avoid at all costs? And what's your take on Vitamin C in relationship to the cure for the common cold? Believe in it, or do you turn to meds?

1 comment:

Aly said...

I RELY on Emergen-C when I feel the slightest cold symptoms. I swear by it. Two a day and I'm better.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...