Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal Spice Cookies

Great news! I passed Glucose Test #2! No more worries for the time being, and let's hope it stays that way. Funny story: After she drew the last vial of blood, I asked her what the next steps would be if the test came back positive for Gestational Diabetes. She says to me, "Well...we like to treat it with a good diet and exercise program, so we'd probably set you up with a nutritionist who could offer some good advice..."

Chuckle.

In all honesty, it would have been fun to meet with a nutritionist, but I'm really glad I don't have to. I know Gestational Diabetes isn't a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, and that it's somewhat out of a pregnant woman's control—but it would have been a huge blow to this preggo's ego. I've always been a fairly healthy lady, and I obviously do everything I can to eat right and exercise...I think the whole "it puts you at risk for Diabetes later in life" thing is what scared me the most.

Anyways.

I am totally loving pumpkins right now. We've got them on our porch, and one sits out by the light in our front yard. We've got ugly pumpkins and perfect pumpkins, small pumpkins...

...and fake pumpkins, too.

Alright, I know it's creepy, but how could I have possibly passed up a pumpkin-head pushing a candle-holder crow stroller? It's deluxe! But it's not delicious. I reserve that right for these Pumpkin Oatmeal Spice Cookies:

There are so many great pumpkin recipes coming out of the blogosphere right now that I can't even keep up, but when I found these treats on Love From the Oven, I pretty much ran to my kitchen. Not only are they healthy, they're also quite low in fat. "What's that you say?! A cookie that's low in fat?!" Yes, dear readers. It's true. And like I said before, they're also quite delicious. I followed Christi's recipe exactly, choosing to forgo the optional mix-ins because I didn't have any in the pantry. I also left off the frosting because, well...frosting is frosting is sugar and who needs more of that than necessary?

A couple of tips:
1) Christi is right, it's hard to mix the batter. Get down and dirty with your clean hands.
2) Use a small scoop to make the cookies bite-size. You'll come up with way more than a dozen.
3) Freeze what you can't eat, then move the cookies from the freezer to the 'fridge when you're ready.
4) Don't be surprised—they turn out chewy. Chewy is good, right?
5) They make for a great pre-workout snack.
6) Enjoy.

Question: Do you have a good pumpkin recipe? Send it my way, or link me to it in the "Comments" section below this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...