Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Me and C

I have a cold. How lovely. It started yesterday with a slight tickle in the throat, and grew ever so strongly into a runny nose/itchy ear combination. And of course, please don't forget the inevitable sore throat. God-forbid one get a cold WITHOUT the dear old sore throat. I hate them. I used to get them all the time when I was little, which is probably why they snatched my tonsils in 3rd Grade. (At least I got Ice Capades Barbie for being good.) And so here I sit, enjoying the last of my 24-hour cold medicine pill and a glass full of freshly squeezed orange juice.

Because of you Jack LaLanne, I am getting a hefty dose of Vitamin C. That's what you need when you have a cold, right? Me and C, we're best buds right now. Forget Cold-Eeze. They taste funny.

And now, I'm channeling my inner me in an effort to get through the day. When you're sick, you want nothing more than to curl up on the couch with a good book and a soft blanket. But when you're an employee, you don't always get the freedom to do that. And since I'm not on my death bed, nor am I contagious, I must continue. So to the gym I go, fully prepared to cover my mouth if and when I need to cough. To wash my hands at every single opportunity I get, more so than on a normal day at work. And I am certainly prepared to bathe in that hand gel we've got posted at every door. At least today is technically an off day in terms of my own personal training schedule. No workouts for me, which is probably a good thing. I don't want to weaken my system any more than it already is.

Which brings me to a great point: When you're sick, you really need to listen to your body. Forgo your training if you have a fever, a persistent cough or cold in the chest, or if you've got a stomach bug that...well, we don't need to get into those details. Your body will need all the energy it currently has to fight whatever nasty virus you picked up. But if you've got a head cold, something in the nose, throat or ear, and if it isn't totally beating you down, then you might try doing a light workout of your choice. Sometimes the exercise will flush it out of your system. Your body will ultimately let you know if you can't handle it. But really, just check with your doctor if there is ever any question. I'm not an MD, so I can only speak from personal experience.

Question: What do you do to keep fit when your energy levels are low? Yoga? A light walk? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...