Sunday, August 28, 2011

Seriously Good Eats

I've been enjoying some delicious meals as of late. Delicious and healthy meals, I might add. It's safe to say that my first trimester diet debacle is behind me. (Even though I'm still not eating my beloved almond butter. It's unexplainable. And sad.) What hasn't left me, and might not ever until Baby is among us, is my incessant hunger. That whole "eating for two" thing...there's some truth to it, although I do still try not to let myself pig out unnecessarily. It's all about distraction at this point. But I won't ever let myself get distracted from the following, should I make them again. Er, sorry...when I make them again.

First up, Chicken Tostadas.


Not only am I obsessed with Mexican food, I am equally infatuated by Cooking Light. Never have I ever been disappointed by one of their recipes. In this case, it was the Avocado Dressing. TOTALLY FAB in my mouth. Reduced-fat sour cream meets avocado meets lemon juice meats ground red pepper. Yeah. You want it. The only thing I did differently than Cooking Light—I skipped the required rotisserie chicken in favor of baked chicken breasts, which I'm sure cuts down on the fat and sodium content. (Sometimes, I get a little skeeved out by the rotisserie chicken that's been sitting there under those heat lamps for God only knows how long.)

Next up, two breakfast options.

For some reason, I woke up on Saturday in the mood for oatmeal. I know, oatmeal in August doesn't make sense. Can I blame this one on Baby? Probably not, it's just in me to want oatmeal when I haven't had it in a while. And honestly, nothing else sounded good so I rolled with it.

Behold, Banana and Egg Oatmeal.


Yes, there's an actual egg in there, which totally ups the protein factor. And makes the entire concoction a bit creamier, which is fun. Not so fun but sinfully delicious: The few bites of Jessica's All-Natural Chocolate Granola that I sprinkled on top. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Here's the recipe:

Banana and Egg Oatmeal
Ingredients:
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup water
1 egg
1 small or medium banana, mashed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. Maple syrup
Chia seeds (optional)
Chocolate granola (optional) 

Directions: 
Mix oats, water and egg in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil, then let it boil for at least five minutes (or until the oats reach a consistency you like). Make sure the egg cooks thoroughly. You'll know when it's done. Turn the heat to low. Mix in the banana (reserve a few slices to top off your finished bowl of oats if you'd like), cinnamon and maple syrup. Spoon into your favorite bowl and top with banana slices, Chia seeds and oatmeal...and anything else your little heart desires.

Easy, right?

Almost as easy as the following:

Nope, these aren't from scratch. But the mix isn't all that bad for you! I love me some pancakes, but I don't love the ingredients that make up your typical pancake mix. Good for a splurge, but not good if you'd like to eat them all the time. And I could seriously eat pancakes all the time if I let myself. Maybe I can with these guys.

I used The Silver Palate's Grain Berry Pancake & Waffle Mix, which I found sitting among all the other breakfast goods at my local Meijer. Literally, there are seven ingredients in this mix. All of which I recognize. It's low in sugar and calories, produces a good amount of carbohydrates for a morning meal, and the resulting cakes taste fantastic. Even the hubs liked the waffles when we made them, and he's super-picky about his waffles.

What's on top? Nothing more than blueberries and Chia seeds warmed up in a little pan on the stove top. If you don't have Chia seeds, I imagine warming up the blueberries would produce the same deliciousness. Try it. And try the mix. (Note: I've also had their Grain Berry Bran Flakes Cereal, which was equally delish. And both boxes featured a small handful of coupons on the inside, which is how I came to purchase the mix. Save  $1.00? Sign me up!)

And now, It's time for me to tackle my Sunday. We intend to make more progress on Baby's room, and quite possibly hit the beach if the temps allow. I slept for 12 hours last night, I think I'm ready to go.

Question: What seriously good eats have you had lately?

1 comment:

ang said...

I just bought the same pancake and waffle mix...so glad to hear it's so tasty. Guess I'll have to make Sean and I some waffles!!! Breakfast for dinner sounds pretty good!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...