Monday, August 8, 2011

All Natural Taco Seasoning

They tell you to avoid MSG (monosodium glutamate) while you're pregnant...well, to be quite honest, they tell you to avoid MSG period. It's an ultra concentrated form of sodium that is used in a wide variety of spice packs, canned soups and frozen meals. While it enhances flavor, it skyrockets the sodium content—and that's never a good thing. Ever. Unless, I guess, you like feeling bloated and gross. But who likes that, anyway.

While I don't eat a lot of canned soups, I do eat tacos quite frequently. Tacos, when built correctly, can become a very healthy meal. Except, of course, if you buy the wrong taco seasonings. I prefer to make my own, but don't always have the patience (or ingredients) for it, so I ultimately end up sifting through the various options at the grocery store for the one or two that don't have MSG in it. Great success, but what they lacked in MSG, they gained in other unnatural ingredients not even worth mentioning. Bummer.

And then I found Lysander's All Natural Taco Seasoning.


Seriously, at the risk of sounding like a food blogger, I have to tell you about this stuff. It's a bit pricey, but you get two packets which amounts to (in my grocery store) about $0.89 a packet. And that's roughly what you'd pay for one packet of the non-natural stuff. So it's worth it...'cuz then you're set for the next time you get a taco craving! (Like I said, I get lazy with making my own seasoning...and I inevitably forget the seasoning when I go grocery shopping. Sigh.)

Back to Lysander's. Check out the ingredients:

Sure, salt is the first ingredient, and the sodium content is a bit high. But if you look close, you can see that one serving size is two taco's worth. And if you're like me, you don't overload your tacos with the meat anyway. There must be room for tomatoes and green onions and black beans and lettuce, oh my!


(If only had corn tortillas.)

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that less than one packet can perfectly season an entire pound of meat, be it beef, turkey or chicken. Or whatever. Look how much they give you:

That's a lot, right?

So try it out. Opt for the all natural version if you're not going to make your own. It never hurts to healthify as many aspects of your meals as you can. Healthy eating supports a fit life like no other, but this you already knew.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Justin's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup to eat (and some baby swag to sort through). Yeah, I said "Justin's"...as in, one of the best PB brands out there.

Doesn't look like a regular peanut butter cup, but it tastes skippin' good.

Oh, and PS: The hubs just called to inform me that he was headed to La Perla (my favorite Mexican restaurant) for lunch. WITHOUT ME.

Jerk.

I was going to buy his birthday present today...well, maybe I won't! (Sigh, yeah...I still will.)

Question: How do you season your tacos?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...