Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How long can you hold a plank?

Once again, your Daily Dose is a tidbit from Oxygen! Can you tell how much I love reading that magazine?

TIDBIT: If your abdominal muscles are fit, they should be capable of holding the plank position for at least two minutes.

Time counts only if your form is proper throughout, so keep your abdominal muscles tight as you balance on your elbows (bent directly underneath your shoulders) and toes. Don't ever let those hips or shoulders sag! Think long and tight. Keep your eyes on the floor and remember to breath. (That's always hard for me to remember as I reach failure.) I clocked in at three minutes and two seconds. And now it's your turn! Grab a friend, a stopwatch and some faith in your abdominal muscles. Report back with your results, even if you can't hit the two-minute mark.  You'll get there eventually.

1 comment:

Terry Schmidt said...

Being in the fitness industry for 16 years now, I must say that I am impressed with the content of your blog, Tara. As a Pilates Instructor I would like to challenge that plank, if I may. If you can hold a plank for 3 minutes and 2 seconds, how about lifting one foot off the floor at the 2 minute mark for 20 seconds and then switch, (think energy out through the toes and top of the head) ensuring that you continue to protract from the shoulder girdle and keep a good rib/hip connection. You're a natural with a passion to learn and share. Never lose that passion!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...