Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Are you game?

Call me crazy, but I killed two birds with one stone this weekend. Not literally, of course. Figuratively speaking as there were two really great fitness events in Chicago and I couldn't choose one over the other. The first, of course, was the L.A.T.E. Ride. The second event was the Women's Health Are You Game? workout at North Beach.

I know what you're thinking: Ride 25 miles at night, then get up and exercise? Pure insanity.

But totally worth it. I convinced my mom to join me because we had such a great experience at the Self Magazine Workout in the Park. We both subscribe to Women's Health, so it was really a no-brainer. Though our bags of goodies weren't as full, we still walked away with a few really cool items. Like a yoga mat and a balance bracelet. (What's a balance bracelet? I have no clue, but you can bet your britches I'll do my research and report back on that one.) And I must admit, the workouts were more intense.

We did Pilates Stride, then a surf-inspired toning class, and we ended the day with Power Balance Yoga. What's a surf-inspired toning class like? Think various lunges and squats for 30 minutes straight. I bet you can imagine how much fun that was after riding 25 miles less than 12 hours before. It hurt, but I pushed through it. And I loved the yoga class! It convinced me that I need to take the yoga classes offered at my gym. But first, I need to tell you about the delicious food we tasted in between the three workouts described above.

First up, Black Bean Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry. I don't usually eat stir-fry because it always seems so greasy, but this version was prepared in a way that totally rocked my taste buds. We also sampled some "bikini-friendly" burgers. Turkey Gorgonzola with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Lentil Quinoa with Sauteed Mushrooms. Both of which were absolutely fantastic. And good for you, which is always a bonus.

All in all, it was a good day. It's safe to say that I'm already looking forward to next summer when (hopefully) Chicago will host this event again. And if they do, you absolutely must join me! Oh wait, did I forget to mention there was a Special K cereal station? All you can eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...