Tuesday, July 24, 2012

WIN THIS: Be safe with ICEdot.

Whenever I leave for a run, my husband tells me to be safe. Safety, of course, is my number one priority. I don't run on crazy roads or in shady neighborhoods. Or when it's dark out. I play my music at a lower volume, and I keep an eye out for creepy people. All of which you, male or female, should be doing as well. But these actions don't necessarily make me (or you) immune to trouble. Things happen, freakishly so. But knock on wood—they haven't happened to me yet.

However, there is one thing I'm not good at in terms of safety—carrying identification. I hate being bogged down by excessive...stuff...when I'm running. This, of course, would prove to be a problem should something actually happen to me.

That's why I like my Road ID, and it's also why I like my new ICEdot bracelet.


Much like a Livestrong bracelet, this lightweight silicone bracelet slips over just about any wrist with ease. Of that I'm sure. Why is this a good thing? On every bracelet is a unique 8-digit number that any first responder can text to the phone number that's also on the bracelet. This 8-digit number is the key to your identity, important health information and emergency contacts. Information you might not be capable of providing if you were seriously injured. And it's so easy to set up on the official ICEdot website. It took me five minutes. I'm not even joking.

I'm also not joking about the need to run (bike or swim) safely, which is why I love that there's an ICEdot for everyone. Yep, even your kids. And if you're not a fan of the silicone bracelet, there are a few different options you can pick from. (I dig this one the best, for obvious reasons.)

There are also two different levels of membership into the ICEdot database. Free, which includes your profile and a glovebox form. Or there's the Premium membership, which also includes emergency contact notification, wearable tags, a starter kit and more for just $10 a year.

Whichever way you go, you're still covered.

And one of you can be covered for free, thanks to ICEdot and Daily Dose. I have an extra ICEdot bracelet, complete with a Free membership, that's ready to ship out to one lucky Daily Dose reader. All you have to do is leave a comment below—I want to know your #1 rule of safety when you're out running (or biking or swimming...or whatever it is you do). I'll pick one person at random after midnight on Tuesday, July 31, 2012.

The winner will be announced on Wednesday, August 1, 2012.


For more information, feel free to follow ICEdot on Twitter or Facebook

Note: Doing so does not get you additional entries.

Disclaimer: The ICEdot bracelet above was sent to me free of charge and without payment for writing this review. All opinions are my own.

29 comments:

Blsmc03 said...

That's awesome! I've been in need of a road ID for biking but haven't bought one. This would be perfect because right now I drag my phone, ID, and insurance card with me, which is annoying! It looks so much more comfortable than the others I've seen. My #1 safety rule...I NEVER bike alone and I always wear a helmet.

Amanda @ Run Principessa said...

I really need a Road ID of some sort. I run and bike in center city Philadelphia and there's just too much that could happen to NOT have ID. Number one safety rule is always have a just-in-case action plan!

Michelle said...

I'm always aware of my surroundings.  I've learned that cars don't always stop at stop signs, and every once in awhile a dog will escape from the yard.  So I try to make sure that I'm not left unaware of what's going on around me, no matter how much I'm enjoying my run!

Meredith said...

My #1 for preparedness is always carrying ID, but with this bracelet, that'd be taken care of.  My "other" #1 for during the run itself is, like Michelle says below, being aware  of my surroundings.  Even with my iPod playing, I stay engaged in my surroundings, looking around, over my shoulder occasionally, listening for unexpected or unnatural noises around me.  Very important! 

Susan Bedsworth said...

My #1 rule is really a combination of a few. I never run at night and thankfully out of preference I normally run with at least one other person and don't use music.

Leslie Cooper said...

I live in the CA desert. Lots can happen to you due to the extremes in the weather. I don't walk or run in outlying areas, partly because of the animals/snakes/dogs running loose. But, if something or someone should do me harm it would be so great to have this info attached to my person.

Clint Ausmus said...

Stay aware of surroundings.  Make yourself seen and heard by vehicles and other pedestrian traffic, and make sure I am seeing and hearing them at all times as well.  Those are the rules I follow on every run.

Cheryl Miller said...

I currently only walk in the morning and in the evening. I hope to one day be able to advance to jogging. I always carry my cell phone with me. Back in July of last year I fell while out for a walk.

abbe said...

Be aware of your surroundings - people, places and things.

Kevin said...

Having a way for family to be contacted in the case of an accident is important.  Since the demise of another online ID program, I have found myself looking for a new way to be protected.

Jim Rhino said...

I'm on my adventure of Couch to 5K, which is a pretty big feat for a pretty big guy, so my biggest concern for safety comes in making sure I am not overdoing it. It scares me to think someone might find me passed out (or worse) on the side of the road, and not know who to contact.

Linda Harding Hicks said...

I always ride or swim with friends. I always carry id, my phone and I have a copy of my insurance card in all my bags.  I like the idea of Icedot.  One more bit of info in case of emergency.

Linda Harding Hicks said...

I always ride or swim with friends. I always carry id, my phone and I have a copy of my insurance card in all my bags.  I like the idea of Icedot.  One more bit of info in case of emergency.  I wasn't sure how the previous comment posted, so I tried again.

Dijon said...

My #1 rule is tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. If no one is home to tell, I leave a note. I feel safer knowing that someone has a starting point if I'm not home within a reasonable time. 

Tom said...

I am new to this area and don't know a lot of folks yet. Having this info. that I can wear on my wrist would help me ( and family ) feel better when I am out-and-about walking.

Chuck said...

It's important to let someone know your plan. Leave from and return to points and times. I have a Road ID but it can get messed up with sweat and dirt. I like this idea.

Melinda said...

Let people know where you are going and when to expect you back . . .and always have your ID

adailydoseoffit said...

I always tell my husband my route! So important.

adailydoseoffit said...

I've heard so many people find success with Couch to 5K programs. Good luck!!!

adailydoseoffit said...

If you're physically capable of running (as in, no restrictive medical conditions), then the easiest way to start running is to add it to your walking program one step at a time! Go as far as, and as long as you can before walking again...repeat! Soon enough, you'll find yourself running more than walking. That's how I started running. I used to HATE running...

adailydoseoffit said...

What's that you say? Snakes?! I'd freak...

adailydoseoffit said...

Running with other people is the best!

adailydoseoffit said...

I was chased by a dog once. The owner came out and, to get it back to the yard, encouraged it with a treat. So basically, the owner was teaching his dog to chase me (the runner). It took everything in me to walk away without shouting expletives.

Dmw said...

At night I wear a bright orange vest along with a head lamp (for early am too). I have a regular route and often a friend will join me. Thank you for all your helpful tips and advice.

Beasleygirl77 said...

Whatever activity I am doing, I never do it alone. We all have each other's contact and emergency information, and we leave details of our activity at home.

buzzardjrt said...

I do not really have a #1 rule but more of a #1 set of rules.  tell someone what I am doing and where, Use my phone to live track where I am for my friends and family to see via Google Latitude & I try and only go where other people are and not completely alone.  I am sure there are more but these are the top 3 any way.

Dani said...

If I'm going to listen to music (earbuds, etc.) when I walk, then I walk where there is no traffic, like a park or on a track.

Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. said...

Always have my phone with me and let people know where I'll be!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast said...

I definitely always tell my husband where I'm going, and I run in popular areas in the daylight.  Try to run with friends when I can... can't be too careful!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...