Thursday, April 24, 2014

Intention versus habit. (#pinspirationthursday)

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, intention is "a determination to act in a certain way" while habit is "a usual way of behaving." The two words are very obviously different, made especially evident when it comes to health and fitness. We all have goals, right? We all have reasons for exercising. But it's so easy to get caught up in the "because I have to" mentality, which eliminates the part where you choose to accept your need for physical fitness. Otherwise known as the part where you choose to admit why you have to exercise.

And also, the part where you choose to actually engage in your exercise of choice.

Pin / Source
This engagement, that's where intention comes into play. Because if you aren't exercising with intent, then you're most likely going through the motions and not really, truly marching yourself toward your goals.

Next time you go to the gym, don't just turn on the treadmill and clock miles. Or bust out a few biceps curls. Really, truly lock into what your body is doing and why. Because going through the motions, the actual habit of working out, while it's good that you've developed this repeat pattern of physical activity—it's really only part of your health and fitness journey.

I'll say it again: Engage in your exercise of choice. Truly respond to it. Exercise from a place of intention, not from habit. Get in there and earn that burn.

And when you're done, apply that same feeling to the rest of your life.

2 comments:

Nicole Renee said...

fun workout! and i want to try ALL of those snacks! nom nom

Annmarie said...

Love this! I find that I usually have intention and put my all into my workouts but I usually go through the motions with the rest of my day. I definitely need to work on living with intention in all parts of my life.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...