Saturday, February 16, 2013

Side Planks with an Exercise Ball

Just popping in today with a plank variation that I think you'll love. If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you might have already seen it.

I really wanted to run outside today, but there was just too much winter going on for me. I don't mind running in the snow, but my latest route has me running on some streets that get fairly busy—and I didn't want to run the risk of getting involved with any sliding cars. But I was not in the mood for five miles on the treadmill, so I opted for 30 minutes on the Gauntlet instead. Self torture? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes, of course.

I always end my cardio sessions with some core. Today, I did knee-ups on the chin-up bar and check this out:

Side planks with an exercise ball. Otherwise known as my new favorite plank variation. It's a great way to target your inner thigh muscles because you have to squeeze the exercise ball. Well, you don't have to, but that's the point. So squeeze it if you try it. It also challenges your balance a little, which is always nice when you're working core.

I wish I could say that I came up with this on my own, but I actually spied another trainer doing it with one of her clients. Best thing about working in a gym? Learning from your coworkers.

Give it a try.
Let me know how it goes.

...and be sure to enjoy the rest of your weekend. I'll be running errands all day tomorrow. Shopping for furniture, eating at my favorite restaurant, stopping into a health foods store. Sounds great, right? #win

Question: What is your favorite plank variation? What's your plank PR?


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...