Thursday, February 10, 2011

I've gone crazy for quesadillas.

Apparently my stint in Mexico last month did nothing to quell my cravings for Mexican food. I'm all over the quesadillas this week! The good thing? It isn't hard to make a healthy quesadilla. Start with a nice, lean whole wheat shell for some quality carbohydrates. The rest is easy. Particularly when you've just made a gigantic bowl of fresh salsa for a Super Bowl party of two. Hello, veggies (and vitamins and minerals)! Cook some chicken breast (protein), throw in a dash of low-fat cheese (calcium). Bada-bing...bada-bang! Lunch is served.

The only thing missing, in my opinion, is an avocado slice or two. Had I not mashed it into oblivion, and had we not eaten all of the resulting guac during the Super Bowl, I would have been able to add a few slices. And subsequently, some healthy fats. But alas—no avocados to be had. It still tasted freakin' good, though. Jason and I both enjoyed at least one before the salsa ran out.

Don't you love it when you come up with a meal that keeps on giving? We try to make meals that provide multiple servings so that we always have something on hand for lunch. Something healthy, that is. God forbid we ever have to hit up a fast food joint. Before I go off on a tangent about that one, I'll move on to the second quesadilla I've been eating this week.

Peanut butter and bananas, oh my! I love this. So much, in fact. And still, it's not that bad for you! Emily of The City Sisters posted the original recipe. And when I first read it, I just knew I could make it my own.

Peanut Butter and Banana'dillas
Ingredients
1 whole wheat tortilla 
1 medium banana
1-1/2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp chopped pecans
1/2 tsp honey plus more for drizzling
Dash of vanilla extract

Directions
Oh my gosh, it couldn't be any easier! Mash the banana, peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract in a bowl until combined. Add one tablespoon of chopped pecans. Stir until combined. Place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate, then spread the mixture across one half of it. Fold the other half over the mixture, then place the entire plate into the microwave. Let it cook for one minute. When it's done, drizzle the top of your Banana'dilla with extra honey, then toss on the remaining pecans.

See, told ya it was easy! I made this again just yesterday using almond butter instead. Equally delish. Oh, and I also added a half teaspoon each of ground flaxseeds and Chia seeds. I think if I had some raspberries, I would have thrown them in there, too. Doesn't that sound divine? I think so.

Question: Do you have a favorite Mexican dish? How do you keep it healthy?

REMINDER! Don't forget to enter my Green Giant giveaway! You just win a prize pack full of goodies. (Contest ends at midnight EST on Friday, February 11, 2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...