Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Guest Post: Spiced Apple Granola

Fall makes me really want an apple. Not apple cider, because it's just not my thing, but a fresh apple right off the tree. In fact, I'm very lucky to be surrounded by orchards that provide the u-pick experience. I just love it. And I love this recipe for Spiced Apple Granola. So grateful to Nicole of A Wild Hope for sharing it. I'm adding it to the list of things to do when I'm done with this ACE test, which is today (OMG). Let me know if you make it!


Hello readers, I’m Nicole from A Wild Hope. I am thrilled that Tara invited me to be a guest blogger for you while she takes her ACE exam. Good luck, Tara! (Thanks, Nicole!)

Like Tara, the focus of my blog is on living a healthy, happy life. One of my favorite things to do is create simple, delicious recipes, so when I was thinking about what to write about for this post, a recipe was my first thought. This time of year is one that is really busy for me, so I always find myself looking for quick and nutritious snacks. I find one of the easiest ways to fuel up throughout the day is with granola; It helps that I love any variation of this versatile snack. Store bought granola can be a sugar bomb, however, so I recently began making my own. This spiced apple version is packed with fiber and protein. It is gluten-free, naturally sweetened, vegan and absolutely delicious.

Shopping List:
• 3 cups old fashioned oats
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1 large apple (any variety), diced
• 1 cup almonds
• 2.5 tbsp cinnamon
• 1 tbsp nutmeg
• 1/2 tbsp all spice
• 1 tbsp vanilla
• 1/4 cup agave syrup
• 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or vegetable oil



Directions:
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
• Combine oats, quinoa, apple and almonds in a large bowl.
• In a separate small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
• Add spice mix, vanilla, agave and oil to oat mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
• Spread mixture on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet in a thin, even layer.
• Bake for 45 minutes, toss mixture every ten to 15 minutes so it cooks evenly.

I hope you enjoy my healthy, fall-flavored version of granola! For more recipes like this one, check out A Wild Hope. You can also follow me on Twitter at wildlyhopeful for blog updates.

Question: What is your favorite thing to eat in the fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...