Saturday, January 14, 2012

Blueberry Cherry Breakfast Burger

These dried cherries came in my Lollihop box:

I exercised some serious restraint in an effort to NOT snack on them right out of the package—I love cherries, dried or any other, but I had a strong sense that this particular version would taste delicious all chopped up in a breakfast of sorts.

And I knew just the recipe to test that theory.

Hello, you gorgeous blueberry cherry breakfast burger! It's like a pancake, but much heartier...and dare I say, somewhat healthier, too? It's made from scratch (obviously), and it measures about four inches across. The perfect size, really.

I give Ashley credit, she perfected the whole "breakfast burger" concept. (Although I think she refers to them as "scrambles.") I just tweaked one of her recipes to accommodate my taste buds and available ingredients. I get a lot of great ideas from her site, so if you haven't checked her out yet, please do. At the very least, you'll get some serious eye candy. Her photography is awesome. She's sort of a self-taught pro. Love (and hate) those types of people.

Back to the burger.

And the cherries, which were fantastic. If you look closely at the package above, you'll notice that the sugar content is somewhat lower than that of most dried fruit. So that was love at first sight. I only used about half the package in the burger.

Sometimes you gotta do that, dontcha know. You gotta read ingredients carefully to determine what exactly you are putting in your body. You never know when you won't actually need the whole bag, bowl, bottle or whathaveyou to satisfy your craving.

I digress. (again)

Here's the recipe, which is perfect for a Saturday morning such as this one (if you survived Friday the 13th). Quick, easy...but super hearty and delicious. AND nutritious. You'll need half of a banana—keep the other half for the top of the burger! I also smeared a little bit of a mixed fruit jam on mine, too. Toppings are, of course, up to you.

BLUEBERRY CHERRY BREAKFAST BURGER
Inspiration: Ashley's Scrambles, The Edible Perspective

Ingredients
• 1/2 banana
2 tbsp nut butter
• 3-1/2 tbsp old fashioned oats
• 2 tbsp milk
• 1 tbsp almonds, chopped
• Handful of blueberries (about 10), mashed
• Handful of dried cherries, chopped

Directions
1) Mash up the banana with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients, then stir to combine.
2) Heat a sauce pan over medium, grease it with a little butter or coconut oil.
3) Add the entire concoction to the pan, taking care to form a burger. Let cook for a few minutes.
4) Flip and cook another five minutes. Repeat until both sides are browned.

Enjoy!
Enjoy for me, too.

I've been eating super simple breakfasts these days. Like dried cereal and milk, or uncomplicated bowls of oats. Gotta stick to the things I can make with just one hand! I wouldn't want to drop Hannah, ya know.

But you, you should make this. It's super delish, if I haven't already convinced you of such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...