When I was in college, we'd go dancing almost every weekend. I mean, every weekend. It wasn't about the $2.00 wells or the discounted cover charge. It wasn't even about the boys—it was about the music. Because if they played good music, my friends and I were there. And when I planned our wedding, I think it's safe to say that I was more concerned about the playlist than the party favors. Dancing, if you haven't made this conclusion yet, is one of my most favorite activities in the world—with good reason, I might add.
I was quite pleased to find the following chart in a post on Get Healthy Magazine's blog.
Now, the post does focus primarily on classical forms of dancing. But that's not to say you aren't burning a significant amount of calories during an hour-long session of booty shakin' on a Friday night with your best friends. Or at that wedding reception, or even in the privacy of your own home. (Yeah, so what if I dance around my place on occasion! I'm not embarrassed.)
Why the calorie burn? Not only is dancing a good cardio blast, it's also an excellent core workout. Next time you hit the dance floor, contract your abdominal muscles and feel what I mean. Get those arms moving for an excellent shoulder toner. And your leg muscles, well...obviously they're getting a good workout.
Not sure if you're a good dancer? What matters most is that you get out there and have fun, 'cuz trust me—someone else'll stink more than you do. But if you want to learn some sweet moves, you can always watch this guy:
Question: What song gets you out on the dance floor? Me, I can't sit down when "Baby Got Back" comes on.
- ► 2014 (199)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (325)
- And the winner is...
- An Underwater Cycling Race
- The Dirty Dozen
- Get yourself a personal trainer!
- 100-Calorie Cupcakes
- I'm loving this core balance kit!
- WIN THIS: An entire box of Element Bars!
- Time is of the essence.
- Healthy Living Blogs
- Food, Inc.
- Work out with a...pumpkin?
- Let's dance!
- "Carpe Snackem"
- Running with Leaves
- More repetitions, lighter weights.
- I might have achieved greatness.
- Ultimate Pilates Workouts
- A Surprisingly Good Biceps Stretch
- Stats with a Side of Sweet Peanut Butter
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Maui Gold
- October 10, 2009
- Club Industry 2010
- A Funny Fit Pic
- Oh, magazine—we've got issues.
- On pain, and when it isn't promoting gain.
- Simply Healthy Black Bean Soup
- So it begins, and how to squat correctly.
- I had a relationship with my pizza.
- The Iliotibial Band
- Proof that pumpkins are perfect!
- ▼ October (31)