Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm loving this core balance kit!

I was in Target the other day (which doesn't surprise anyone) and came across this core balance kit in the fitness aisle. (Do you shop the fitness aisle? It's where they keep the real toys.) Four little pods, brightly colored and ready for anything. Fantastic, right? I love them! And you will, too—that is, if you enjoy adding some instability to typical moves like squats and standing bicep curls. These pods work much like a BOSU or balance disc, they're just smaller.

That makes them extremely portable, and it also means they won't take up a ridiculous amount of space in your house or apartment. But that's not to say they won't cause a significant amount of burn during and after your workout. I can attest to the fact that they increase the intensity of a plank, that's for sure.


Did you happen to notice the price in my Target photo above? $29.99 is a super steal in my opinion, especially since the kit includes two full-length workouts. Now, I haven't actually purchased a set for myself yet (come to find out, we have a set at the gym) so I can't say for sure whether or not those workouts are worthwhile. But that instability factor...it's good. Especially in terms of your core. Remember that whenever you stand on an unstable surface, you immediately call upon your core muscles to help you find balance.

I found this video online, perhaps it's similar to what comes in the kit:


Looks fun, right? I think so.  But a jump or single-leg squat is not the only thing you can do on a set of balance pods. They'd increase the intensity of just about any squat, lunge or plank—basically anything that puts part of your body in contact with the floor. Well, unless that body part is your face. Clearly that won't be comfortable for you as Jason so graciously demonstrates in the picture at right. (My husband, the goofball.)

Question: Have you ever used a set of balance pods? What's your opinion? And speaking of balance, do you consider yours to be good or bad? How do you know?

REMINDER! Don't forget to enter my Element Bars giveaway! You just might win a box of 12 delicious build-your-own energy bars. (Contest ends at midnight EST on Friday, October 29, 2010.)

1 comment:

sweetiepie said...

NO! This does not look fun. This looks like a broken ankle or other injury just waiting to happen. I'll stick with the bosu, which is dangerous enough (a woman at my health club actually did brake her ankle while using one!)The pods are probably good for planks and such, but I wouldn't jump on/off them.

And yes, I think I have good balance. If I find the "sweet spot" I can do bicycles on the bosu forever! And while doing tree pose in yoga, I practically grow roots!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...