Sunday, May 2, 2010

Susan G. Komen Northern Indiana Race for the Cure

I laced up my sneaks yesterday for a great cause—the fight against breast cancer. Since I know a number of women who have battled the disease, I was a very willing participant. And I wasn't alone.


Both my mother (middle) and my sister (right) ran it, along with her boyfriend and two of their friends. In addition, my aunt walked it.


There's nothing better than a race for charity. So many people come together for one great cause. For one great fight against something that ultimately affects us all in some way.


But still, it's hard to quiet that competitive nature. Though you're racing for something bigger than you, you still aim to start strong and finish with that personal best.

 

Speaking of a "personal best," I crossed the finish line at 26 minutes and 36 seconds which may very well be mine. My sister crossed shortly thereafter.

 

Big congrats go out to Aly for finishing her first 5K in under 30 minutes! Not bad, little sister. Not bad at all. 

Though we had such a great time running, the real fun didn't begin until all of us had crossed the finish line. Before Mom could truly get over her own personal best (under 30 minutes!) she ran into an old friend from high school who happens to be the news anchor at the station covering the event. So, well...we got our 15 minutes of fame.

 

 

At the very end of the interview he asked us which one of us had crossed the finish line first, to which Mom replied "she did, she's a personal trainer." Thanks for the plug, Mom. 

In the end, the event was a huge success. Congratulations to all of the participants.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Thank you Tara, Aly and Tammy for participating in such a worthy cause and it must have been so great to do it together..GREAT JOB all of you!!

Rebecca said...

You're soooooooo cute. And fit! I MISS YOU!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...