Monday, December 10, 2012

Healthy Pancakes for Baby (and You)

A girl can only have so much oatmeal. I'm speaking, of course, about myself—and Hannah, too. She loves oatmeal (we both do) but variety is the spice of life and I'd like to keep her interested in both oatmeal and breakfast so I recently introduced her to that which is the pancake. But not just any pancake. You see, my girl can't have eggs yet. Or cow's milk. So I can't just whip up a batch of Kodiak Cakes. Not yet, anyway.

I took to the Internet in search of a recipe for healthy pancakes for babies. I got a lot of vegan pancake options, which is exactly what I needed, but most of them called for ingredients that I didn't necessarily have on hand. I did, however, find one that looked promising courtesy of Charissa over at Colorful Palate. The results were delicious, well-received by daughter...

..and mother.

Note: I did make two changes to Charissa's recipe: I used plain water instead of soy milk and I added a teaspoon of cinnamon. On a different occasion, I also added some blueberries which tasted mighty fine.

This recipe makes a ton of pancake batter, which keeps well, so it's an ideal recipe for make-ahead breakfasts. I poured all of mine into a plastic container, which sits ready and waiting for me in the 'fridge. Our mornings are sometimes rushed, but now I can serve Hannah something tasty no matter what.

In other news, my silence as of late has had much to do with this:

We're painting our living room, so instead of sitting down to the computer while Hannah sleeps, I've been taking to the walls with brush in hand. So glad we're putting the finishing touches on everything at this point, which is why I am (once again) sitting in front of the computer.

Speaking of "sitting in front of," I am taking over the 6AM Spinning class tomorrow. First time on the head bike in front of a crowd. Let's hope my playlist pleases.

Question: What's your go-to motivational song?


2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'll have to remember this recipe for when my daughter can start eating solids. Who doesn't love pancakes?
For a song to get me going I love "Ready to Start" by Arcade Fire. :)

Tara said...

Seriously, file it away! Nice song. I see it on a Spinning playlist in my future. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...