Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Biceps Workout

I thought I'd go out on a limb here and give you a biceps workout. (Get it? "Go out on a limb...") That's not to say you should only work your biceps on any given day, but I thought what follows might be something fresh for you on back/biceps or upper body (maybe even total body) days.



Remember to choose a weight that challenges you in the back half of your repetitions. Meaning, you should feel a slow increase in the resulting burn. If you don't have weights, you can use an exercise band. Although it won't work for the hold...try a body bar or weight plate. Or maybe a bag full of books!

In terms of form, always keep your elbows below your shoulders, and don't let your shoulders move too much...you want to use your biceps, not your shoulders, to move the weight in your hands. And once you've got that in check, check your lower back for any excessive arching. If you have to lean back at all to lift your weights, then the weights are probably too heavy.

Some clarifications on the above:

SINGLE-ARM CROSS-BODY BICEPS CURL
Curl the weight up and toward your heart before lowering it again. The unused arm can relax at your side sans weight. This type of exercise targets the outer portion of your biceps muscle.

BICEPS HOLD
With weights in both hand, bend the arms to 90 degrees with your palms facing the ceiling. Hold for 15 seconds.

REVERSE BICEPS CURLS
This is a standard up-down biceps curl, but your palms face the ground.

WIDE-ARM BICEPS CURL
This is also a standard up-down biceps curl, but your hands are turned out to the side. This type of exercise targets the inner portion of your biceps muscle.

Try it and let me now what you think. I don't know about you, but I've always enjoyed working my biceps. Especially at this time of year. Sure, they're hidden beneath sweaters and coats and turtlenecks—that just makes them my little secret. My little reminder that hard work pays off. Speaking of hard work, today was a Spinning day.



I still haven't taught a class on my own,  but I don't have a class of my own yet. I'm at the top of the sub list, but I haven't claimed any open classes yet. I attribute this to A) not having the actual Spinning certificate in my hand, B) not having any cycling shoes yet and C) nerves. Yeah, I'm a little nervous about jumping in the instructor's saddle.

I just need to do it. I felt the same way right before I took on my 6AM class, which is definitely going well. Has been for awhile now.

So why don't I have the certificate yet? The spinning program is hands-on. Teach, learn, take the test...etc. And I realize that you don't need shoes to ride successfully, so that's just a silly reason for me to avoid teaching. And maybe just a cover-up for #3.

Anyway, this morning's ride was nice. Love me some seated climbs (even though they burn like a biatch). Also nice:

Salad in a jar. Over chopped chicken and avocado. Best prep-ahead meal ever.

Question: What fitness classes and/or events/situations intimidate you? Did you rise above the intimidation factor? If so, how?





3 comments:

MegHoff said...

Can we discuss the Salad In A Jar idea? Because that's awesome. Seriously awesome.

adailydoseoffit said...

Have you tried it yet? It's such an easy thing to pull together! And it's portable! WIN

Mandy Nester said...

That is the coolest salad in a jar! You are a creative gal.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...