Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Spinning® Certification Review

The weather was quite rainy yesterday which made it the perfect day for some indoor cycling. I'm an off-and-on type of rider, mostly because I prefer my running shoes to the bike saddle, but I've always enjoyed taking Spinning® classes so I thought I'd add a certification to my bag of tricks. We're a Spinning® facility, so it only seemed logical that I go the Spinning® route. And besides, they are the champions of indoor cycling.

It was a nine-hour course, at least two of which were spent in the saddle—yes, my bum is a little sore today. And when we weren't in the saddle, we were discussing the ins and outs of teaching a Spinning® class. Needless to say, I am newly motivated to spend even more time in the bike saddle. And slightly overwhelmed. I wish I had more pictures for you, but we were that busy. I do, however, have a shot of the lunch I packed. You might have seen it if you follow @adailydoseoffit on Instagram:

I piled up some plain Chobani greek yogurt, homemade honey-cinnamon granola, blueberries and pomegranate seeds. You could do the same, it's so easy and makes for a great portable meal. And no, you don't have to go out and buy a bunch of fancy Ball jars. What you see above is most likely an empty peanut butter or salsa jar.

I digress. Let's talk about my Spinning® certification course. Long story short: It was awesome. The instructor was awesome. Full of information and extremely passionate about Spinning®  which is why I find myself newly motivated to spend more time in the bike saddle. We completed Phase 1 of the certification process yesterday, which basically gets you ready to teach. I don't know that I'm ready to teach RIGHT NOW, although I technically can. Phases 2 and 3 involve some self-study and are meant to fine-tune your knowledge base while developing your skills as a rider. I'd like to spend another week or two on the bike before I get on the lead bike. But that's just me. Always the perfectionist.

And really, the entire certification process is meant to be a six-month thing that ends with an open-book test. But again, it's set up so you can teach right away if you're ready. I'll be ready soon enough. I want to wrap my mind around the incorporation of one's heart rate, which carries great emphasis in any Spinning® class. This is a concept that's not unfamiliar to me, as it's also a big part of personal training, but it's a concept I'd like to review nonetheless. And one that has great emphasis in Phase 3 of the certification process, in case you're wondering.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about having this notch on my belt. Once I start teaching Spinning®  I'll have three very important elements of fitness in my class schedule: Strength (Circuit Sculpt and TRX), Stretching (Foam Rolling) and Cardio (Spinning®). Hooray!

Why should you get a Spinning® certification?

1) If you participate in Spinning® classes on a regular basis, think about the money you'll save by getting paid to ride instead of PAYING to ride—or thing about the education you'll get which, in turn, will enhance your riding experience.

2) The Spinning® program was the first of its kind, inspiring other programs along the way. Why not choose the leader of the pack? And why not choose the only program that truly mimics road biking at its finest?

3) If you're already a group fit instructor or certified personal trainer, it's a good trick to have up your sleeve. And it will broaden your understanding of the human body and what it takes to train it, which will carry over to your other classes/clients. If you're not already an instructor or a certified personal trainer, it's still a good trick to have up your sleeve and I can assure you the process of getting certified will be manageable. Especially if you already ride. See below.

4) If you're an avid cyclist, it's a great way to transition your training indoors during the off season or when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

5) It's fun. 'Nuff said.

I have so much to learn as a new Spinning® instructor and I'm really looking forward to doing just that. Here's to hoping I can balance time on the bike with time on the road in my running shoes. This week in particular was tough. I only logged four miles and I logged them today.

Sad face.
...happy face after those four miles:

My ears and sinuses were acting up at the beginning of the week which put a huge damper on my efforts to run. Trust me when I say that I was hugely disappointed, especially after such a great run last Sunday. But it's back on now, and I'm on my way to eight miles in a week. Race day is slowly approaching.

Speaking of slowly approaching, I'm teaching in the morning so I should probably prep my class. Watch out Circuit Sculpters, I'm in the mood for a good one.

And if you're in the mood for a salad, perhaps for lunch tomorrow, you can make salads in a jar, too:

Oh, and before I forget: Many thanks to NatureBox for sending me another stash of deliciousness.

If you've yet to discover this mailbox service, please check them out. And if you want to get some delivered to your home, use ADDOFIT at checkout to save 25%.

Question: If you are a Spinning instructor, what advice can you give this newbie? If you're an avid rider, what do you love the most about your instructor?

Note: NatureBox did not compensate me for this brief review. They just sent me a free box of goodies which I happily accepted as a brand ambassador. All opinions are my own and I mention them here because I am a true fan. You know if I hated the product that I'd tell you as much, right? Right. Also, Spinning did not compensate me for this brief review either. I paid for the course with my own money and speak of it here because, well...if you're reading this, then you probably already know why.






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...