Thursday, June 7, 2012

Banana Bread Brown Rice Cereal

Remember when I thought that maybe brown rice cereal for babies would be good for me, too? Well...it was. Very good. A few weeks ago, I bookmarked Angela's recipe for Gooey Banana Bread Batter Instant Steel-Cut Oatmeal. So I made it, but I made it with milled brown rice instead of the steel-cut oats. I also took out the raisins and used almonds instead of walnuts because I didn't have either one of them in the house. Her recipe makes a gigantic batch, so I cut the ingredients down to create a single serving. Doesn't it look delicious?

BANANA BREAD BROWN RICE CEREAL
Inspiration: Angela's Gooey Banana Bread Instant Steel Cut-Oatmeal

Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup brown rice, milled
• 1/2 tsp Chia seeds, milled
• 1-1/2 cup water
• 1/2 banana, mashed
• 1/2 tsp maple syrup
• 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/8 tsp cinnamon
• sprinkle of salt
• sprinkle of nutmeg
• handful of crushed almonds
• handful of dark chocolate chips

Directions
1) Bring the water to a boil, then add the rice and Chia seeds. Cook until it begins to thicken, then add the banana, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir.

2) When a consistency of your desiring has been met, remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients, except for the almonds and the chips. Those go on top.

3) Enjoy!

I suppose when Hannah is old enough to process all of the ingredients above, she and I will sit down to breakfast with a bowl of this in front of us. At which point I will, of course, refer back to Angela's recipe. If I were to make her version right now, I'd eat all three servings.

It's that good.

Question: Now that we're into the warmer months, have you shelved your hot cereals? Or do you still partake? What's your go-to breakfast right now?



1 comment:

PB and Peppers said...

What a great breakfast!  I love it!!

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...