Thursday, November 6, 2014

Run a #HalfMarathon by Yourself (...plus, it's #pinspirationthursday)

Can I just say: I absolutely hate the flu. With a passion. Because it's so annoying. It's one of those illnesses that has such great power to make you feel like crap. And even though it's not typically life-threatening and is almost always manageable, it has this power over the body. Almost like the little virus enters your system with an evil grin, totally excited to just mess up you and your week. And after it does, it moves on to your family. Maybe even your friends. And probably some other people, too, despite your best efforts.

So yeah, we had the flu this week. But I'm trying not to dwell on it anymore because there are so many people out there suffering from such greater, incurable, unimaginable things.

#endrant

I ran a half marathon on Sunday.
I did it all by myself. Literally, all by myself.

No race signs. No fuel stations. Just me and my gear.

I really didn't think I could do it. But I did:

A few months ago, I worked with Jost Running to promote their virtual races. Specifically, the Beat the Heat 5k and the Home Run 10K. I had an unused voucher for one of their half marathons, and since I ran a little over 11 miles at the Grand Rapids Marathon relay—I mean, I couldn't let it go to waste. What's two more miles, right?

Shoot, those two miles were hard! Not physically, but mentally! If you train for marathons, you might think this post is silly because a solo 13-miler might be a walk in the park for you. But it wasn't for me because I don't train for marathons. I train for half marathons, and I prefer to run them with a ton of people. Would you believe I've only gone the distance three times previously?

1) Chicago Half Marathon, October 2009
2) Chicago Women's Half Marathon, June 2013
3) Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon, August 2013

No recap on that first one. Daily Dose wasn't up and running (ha!) yet.

Add this one now:

4) Jost Running Strength In Numbers Virtual Half Marathon, November 2014

But anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I'm a firm believer in that, so I sucked it up...well, laced it up and got my butt outside. And I ran. I ran 13.1 miles on what might have been the last sunny Fall day of the season.

It was perfect.
Again, the last two miles sucked.
But it was perfect.
(And then I got the flu.)

If you're thinking about running 13.2 miles by yourself, you should consider the following:

1) Register for a virtual race and earn that proof. Because, #bling.
2) Be very strategic about your fuel—remember, no aid stations.
3) Pick a path that travels close to home, just in case you (insert problem here).
4) Be your own cheerleader. Literally...out loud.
5) Stay safe, aware, and let others know where you're going and when you might return.
6) Believe in yourself. #mostimportant

Pin / Source
You can be sure I'll share my medal when it comes. Are you following me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? You might see it there first.

Tomorrow, November goals. I've been thinking about them...

Question: What's the furthest distance you've ever gone by yourself? How did you get through it?

2 comments:

Brienne Peers said...

Awesome job! The furthest I have ever run is 7.5 miles, which was just a few weeks ago! I made sure to run along a scenic route that would keep my mind occupied the whole time and not get bored.

Kelly McNelis said...

Awesome job, Tara! I did 20 when I was training for my full marathon. I don't mind the solo miles because I'm an introvert at heart. I don't even listen to music! :)

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...