Wednesday, December 23, 2015

4 Arm Balance Yoga Poses I Want To Master

Yesterday was a great fitness day for me. I woke up early to run at the gym, snagging four miles before calling it quits. I don't usually go more than three per session during the week, which is sort of low for me right now, but I had extra time and wanted to push myself, so I tagged on another mile and did some sprint intervals.

Running Equipment. Fitness Trackers.
Not too bad. I spent a majority of those four miles thinking about races I want to run next year, feeling somewhat inspired to start training again.

I also thought about yoga.

We offer a Power Yoga class on Tuesday mornings, which very much falls into line with an Ashtanga style. Don't ask me to explain what that means, I'm not well-versed on the definitions of each style. I just know that it's an intense class that's meant to really challenge the students. And our students (myself included) happen to love the version we offer on Tuesday mornings.

I was still feeling pretty warm after my run, so I practiced my new favorite arm balance pose while I was waiting for the class to start. I recreated that moment a few hours ago:

Arm Balance Yoga Poses


Eka Pada Koundinyanasana II. I had to Google the name because I only know it as the one-legged arm balance. I guess it's also referred to as Pose Dedicated to the Sage Koundinya II. I can only do it pretty with my right leg forward. I'm less flexible on the left, which makes it not-so-pretty. Something to work on, for sure.

Now, I don't have a lot of arm balances in my pocket of tricks.
I can do Crow (Bakasana):

Arm Balance Yoga Poses
And Side Crow (Parsva Bakasana:

Arm Balance Yoga Poses
But that's about it. For now, because I love practicing arm balances! I've got the bug to master a few more. Man, they look cool. And they're fun to work on. Also super challenging, which is the kind of yoga that I love.

I'm not really into the spiritual aspects of yoga, some might argue that you can't have yoga without it. But for me, it's all about the movement. The challenge of getting your body into specific positions and holding it there to max out on strength and flexibility at one time. I think teaching PiYo Live has really helped me recognize the benefits and tune into that aspect of a yoga class.

But, tangent. Back to arm balance yoga poses.
Here are a few that I want to work on:

1) Eight-Angle Pose (Astavakrasana)
2) Peacock Pose (Mayurasana)
3) Twisted One Legged Arm Balance (Eka Pada Koundinyanasana I)
4) Forearm Balance (Pincha Mayurasana)

Back in the day, I could handstand like no other. And I still can when I'm against the wall. Away from the wall, my ability to hold it steady is questionable. I need to practice. But forearm balance...I've honestly never tried it, and I think it looks so cool when people do it away from the wall.

Someday.
Somehow.

#totallydetermined

Check out the Wild Workout Wednesday linkup for more fitness inspiration.

Question: What's one yoga pose you really want to master? Are there any arm balance poses I should add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...