Monday, February 24, 2014

Whey Protein after Workouts: Why? (#Infographic)

I used to work with a trainer that pushed whey protein on his clients. He wasn't working with a specific protein company, that wasn't the case at all. He was just very diligent, borderline obsessive about post-workout protein shakes. He wasn't relaying the wrong information, but he wasn't necessarily honest about the fact that protein shakes, specifically whey protein shakes, aren't the be-all, end-all to post-workout nutrition. And, no...he wasn't a registered dietitian. And any personal trainer knows that diet is a grey area when it comes to making recommendations. We're typically taught to speak generally, or from personal experience.

Obviously this trainer had a lot of experience with post-workout whey protein.

Let me set the record straight: I have nothing against whey protein. When I speak to my clients about post-workout nutrition, I tend to discuss protein in general—It's true, protein helps muscles recover. We need it, and it's wise to consume it after a workout. When they ask me about protein powders, I let them know that a well-rounded approach to protein consumption is best. And that "well-rounded" can include the right protein drinks if necessary. Because let's be honest, sometimes we don't have the time to make eggs or chicken breasts right after a workout. And whey protein can, in fact, be an excellent choice for the following reasons:

Source
Now, in my own diet, I've always gone the plant protein route. Why? Because I was intimidated by the whey protein market. So many options! So many ingredients! How's a girl to choose the purest, most appropriate form? Plant proteins, to me, seemed so much more approachable. I had a much easier time understanding the ingredients. And it just seemed so...wholesome...to go the plant route.

And this is where the story changes: A few weeks ago, someone posted a picture of Reserveage Grass-Fed Organic Whey Protein Powder on Instagram. Curious, I looked into it and found that it was a pretty straightforward whey protein. Long story short: I bought a single-serve packet at Whole Foods, loved it, and ultimately returned with a gift card to buy a tub of twelve more servings.

It's a pretty straightforward protein powder (if you're OK with Stevia) that mixes well and tastes absolutely delish. Expensive, sure, but I'm not an everyday consumer so it'll last. I still prefer to get my proteins from my post-workout meals and/or snacks, but this works in a pinch (like if I can't get home right after my workout, or can't pack the right snack for some reason).

Ultimately, you have to do what works best for you, whether that's whey, plant or whole food proteins. And if you can't decide, ask your doctor or seek a registered dietitian for advice.

Question: How do you get your protein after a workout? 


1 comment:

whey protein said...

2012 Mr. Olympia 2.’si ünlü vücut geliştirmeci Kai Greene’in
sponsoru olarak tanıdığımız MuscleMeds oldukça kaliteli bir
protein tozuyla karşımıza çıkıyor. %100 dana etinden elde edildiği
söylenen protein tozunun 1 ölçeği 35 gramdır ve 23 gram protein
içerir. masterprotein.com Bu ürünün en büyük artılarından biri yağ ve kolesterol
içermemesidir. Fakat yine bir ölçeğinde bulunan 8 gram
karbonhidrat biraz yüksek bir miktar olarak değerlendirilebilir. 6
Mucle Pharm- Combat Powder Kullanım şeklimiz konusunda ihtiyacımız
olan protein miktarını belirledikten sonra alacağımız protein tozu
miktarını belirliyoruz. Bir ölçek protein tozunun 25 gr civarında
protein içerdiğini biliyoruz. (tozun üzerinde bu miktar
belirtilmektedir.) Günlük alacağımız ölçek miktarına göre ne zaman
alacağımızı belirliyoruz. Olayı şöyle açıklayabiliriz. masterprotein.com

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...