I am a people watcher. And as a personal trainer, this kicks in big time when I'm at the gym. I like to see what people are doing in case I should be doing it, too. What I don't like to see—people doing things wrong. They're either A) risking injury or B) not really getting the full benefits of their workout. I want to run up to these people and say "woah, hey there...let's just pause for a second," but I don't. They haven't asked for help, and I don't want to be the annoying know-it-all at the gym.
Lucky for me, I have a blog now.
So, to all you stair-steppers out there, with the best of intentions I say just one thing—stand up when you step up! The handlebars on a step machine are there strictly for your balancing purposes. They are not crutches on which you should rest some of your weight. I get that you are tired and I know leaning makes it easier. But this is called cheating, you sneaky exercisers, you. Stand up tall and proud! Hold on...but not for dear life. Keep your weight centered on the steps, and if this is too hard, you may consider lowering the intensity a bit to help you maintain form.
Remember, proper form means full benefits.
- ► 2014 (199)
- ► 2013 (173)
- ► 2012 (265)
- ► 2011 (325)
- Stretch Bands: The inexpensive, go anywhere way to...
- Apparently, I always loved getting in shape.
- Hammer Curls
- If you got it, flaunt it.
- Well, this is just deliciously pure!
- "Bite it, write it."
- I'm thinkin' thighs today. Are you?
- On calf muscles.
- Lady Alice Apples
- Map your run.
- Target your abs with seven simple moves.
- The Importance of Protein
- Excuse me, I just Burpee'd.
- Do you eat LUNA bars?
- I have a love/hate relationship with pushups.
- Sugar, is that you?
- The Go-To Song
- A Fitness Funny: Jazzercise
- Go ahead, jump!
- Big Books of Exercise
- Stand up when you step up!
- SlimCado? Alright, I'll try it.
- The Pilates 100
- Rise and shine, it's workout time!
- This is my dream.
- A Daily Dose of Fit is both a guilty pleasure (onc...
- ▼ March (27)