Monday, October 24, 2016

Year End Running Goals

Anyone else shocked that November is right around the corner? I am finally in pumpkin mode and totally feeling the effects of Fall. Did Summer go by in a blur for you, too? Man...so here we are, staring down the last two months of the year. Start thinking about the holidays yet? Yeah, I haven't either. But I have been thinking about my running game and what I intend to do with it for the rest of the year.

My half marathon is behind me now, and while I do enjoy running without a purpose, I like to have some sort of goal or race on the horizon. I've been focusing on one thing only: Three runs per week.

I'm going to change that now. Sort of.

I signed up for two races: The HeartMiRun Virtual 5K and the Niles-Buchanan YMCA Thanksgiving Day Run. Another 5K. On my birthday. Yes, my birthday is on Thanksgiving.

So, here are my new year-end running goals.

1) Run three times a week. 10-15 miles per week. 
That might not seem like a lot of miles to you, but that's about all I can handle because of my work schedule and my priorities at home. I teach quite frequently throughout the week, so I currently use Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday for running—BUT, I teach Spinning on Thursdays every other week. So every other week, I struggle to fit in three runs. If it doesn't happen, I don't beat myself up about it, but I love running. And honestly, I'd rather run than spin.

2) PR at the Thanksgiving Day Run.
I felt really strong at the Chicago Half Marathon. I have never paced so well in my life. 8:30/miles felt really comfortable on race day, and I can push sub-8:00 for shorter distances. So I'm gunning for a new PR at the Thanksgiving Day Run, which is on Thanksgiving...which is my birthday! A good present to myself, yes? I've enlisted the help of my running buddy, a track and cross country coach. He insists we need to hit the local track, which I am all for. So we'll see.

3) Gear up for cold weather running.
It's getting colder up here in Michigan, and as I was looking for a long-sleeve top to wear this past weekend, I realized that I don't have much to choose from. So I need a handful of cold-weather running shirts to wear alone and as layers. I have a ton of pants, just not tops. I think, when I go shopping, that I focus too intently on the cute tanks and bras.

4) Pick a long-distance Spring race to run.
There are a handful of local 5K races in the Winter and early Spring that I intend to run, but if I want to run a late-spring half marathon, then I'll need to pick that one sooner than later to a) avoid higher race fees, and b) map out a good start date for training when the new year hits.

So I guess that's it.
That's where I am at right now.

With all the heavy training I did for Chicago, it feels good to be staring down a few lighter goals.

Question: What is one of your year-end fitness goals? Are you running a race on my birthday, otherwise known as Thanksgiving Day? Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...