We eat a lot of tacos. They're easy to make, inexpensive and generally quite delicious. So when I had the option to choose a Summer Vegetable and Queso Tostada meal from Blue Apron a few days ago, I went for it—knowing I'd have to modify the recipe just a bit to fit our taste buds.
Let me explain.
When you order from Blue Apron, they automatically select a set number of meals for you. You can switch them out. However, your options are very limited and some meals can't be ordered together. I'm guessing they maximize space in their shipping containers AND do what they can to prevent food waste, which means sending out recipes that cross over ingredients.
So I picked the tostada recipe knowing it wouldn't be one of our favorites.
We hate it.
But the rest of the ingredients in the recipe sounded marvelous.
Their eggplant tostadas became my Corn and Queso Chicken Tostadas.
I want more right now. Here's the recipe, which makes enough to serve two hefty portions.
CORN AND QUESO CHICKEN TOSTADAS
Source: Inspired by a recipe from Blue Apron
• 4 Tortillas
• 1/2 Cup Queso Para Freír (cubed)
• 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
• 2 Chicken Breasts (seasoned with taco spices)
• 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Corn
• 1 Bell Pepper
• 1/3 Cup Green Onion
• 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
• 1 Lime
• 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
• Avocado (chopped)
• Cotija Cheese (grated)
• Salt and Pepper
1) Season the chicken with your favorite taco spices. I like to use the pre-mixed taco seasoning from Trader Joe's. (It's bomb. There are literally ten bags in my spice cupboard.) Bake the chicken in the oven until it's done, then chop it up into bite-sized pieces:
2) While the chicken is cooking, zest about 2 teaspoons of the lime peel, then slice the lime in half.
3) Chop the pepper and green onions, then sauté them both in a pan with the corn and minced garlic until everything is soft. Add a squirt or two of fresh lime juice and some salt and pepper to taste.
5) Stir the lime zest into the sour cream. At this point, all of your ingredients are ready to be assembled! (Assuming your chicken is done, of course.)
Start with the shell, add the veggies, then the chicken and cheese. Top with the avocado, sour cream and cilantro. Yum:
Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it.
Question: Do you like eggplant? We think it's really slimy and flavorless. Am I making it wrong?