1) How much cardio do I get every week, and is it the same type of cardio every time? Does it bore me?
2) How many times a week am I strength training? Am I training too much, possibly too little?
3) What have I been eating? Am I being honest with myself when it comes to the choices I make?
Once you have those questions answered, you can really figure out what you've been up to and how it's affecting the achievement of your goals. Today, let's just focus on part of question #1: Is it the same type of cardio? Does it bore me?
If you answered "yes" to either of the above, then you might enjoy this week's Workout Wednesday. It's a 40-minute workout that I prefer you do off the treadmill. So lace up those sneaks, plug in those earbuds and head outside. Or make friends with the track at your gym. If you're used to running or walking on a treadmill, you might notice a difference—the track, after all, puts you in supreme control. You can't just set a computer and go with the flow. Speaking of "go," let's get to it.
HIGH: Workin' hard, out of breath. Can't really talk.
MEDIUM: Comfortable, steady. Short, intermittent talking is possible.
LOW: Nice 'n easy.
1) 5 Minutes: Walking warm up, LOW.
2) 1 Minute: Walking lunges.
3) 4 Minutes: Run, MEDIUM.
4) 5 Minutes: 30-second intervals, alternating between MEDIUM and HIGH.
5) 4 Minutes: Run, MEDIUM.
6) 1 Minute: Walk, MEDIUM.
7) 1 Minute: Walking lunges.
8) 4 Minutes: Run, MEDIUM.
9) 5 Minutes: 30-second intervals, alternating between MEDIUM and HIGH.
10) 4 Minutes: Run, MEDIUM.
11) 1 Minute: Walk, MEDIUM.
12) 1 Minute: Walking lunges.
13) 2 Minutes: Run, MEDIUM.
14) 1 Minute: Walk, MEDIUM.
15) 1 Minute: Walk, LOW.
If the walking lunges kill you, slow them down a bit and check your stride. Make sure you aren't stepping out too far. And you can always shake 'em out at the 30-second mark. But get right back to it before you fall behind! Just be sure to stretch at the end. Never forget to stretch.
Question: How much cardio do you do in a given week? Is it enough, do you think? Why or why not?
REMINDER! Don't forget to enter my giveaway! You just might win two bags of Yumnuts! (Contest ends at midnight EST on Friday, December 2, 2011).