Thursday, June 24, 2010

Go ahead, laugh.

Remember the scene in "Mary Poppins" where everyone's favorite nanny visits Uncle Albert, only to find him floating in the air because of what can best be described as a laughing attack? It was always one of my favorite scenes, mostly because I'd end up laughing myself. You see, laughter is quite contagious. And as it turns out, very good for your abdominal muscles.

In fact, laughter is good for the entire body in a variety of different ways. Not only does it make us happy, it lowers our blood pressure, reduces stress and releases endorphins. While those effects are all very important, I'd like to focus on the fact that it flexes our abdominal muscles. And if you've ever experienced a deep, gut-busting laugh—then you know what I mean. It almost hurts, doesn't it? Your breathing pattern changes so significantly that your abdominal muscles clench up in response. And that's why laughter is a great abdominal workout. But can it be harnessed into an actual workout?


At first I thought it was a joke (especially because of her facial expression at the end), but as it turns out, this video is totally legit. The "Laugh Your Abs Away" workout is the brainchild of a California woman named Kerry Beard and she is, of course, the instructor you see above. Though I'm not sure I could ever take this workout seriously, it sure would be fun to test it out at the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...