Friday, May 7, 2010
If you're making a conscious effort to lose weight, one of the things you'll want to do is keep a log of your girth measurements. Along with your weight, they'll give you concrete evidence that your body is changing. I suggest using a tape measure like the one pictured above (of COURSE mine is pink!) which you can find rather cheaply almost anywhere. And while you'll be able to self-measure some of the key areas, you'll really want to ask a friend for some assistance. This'll help keep the numbers as accurate as possible.
When measuring, you'll simply pull the tape around each key area. Pull it tight to get enough tension, but not so tight that you start to turn blue. Remember this tension as you'll need to recreate it when you measure again. And speaking of measuring, behold the key areas:
1. UPPER ARM—midway between elbow and shoulder, right and left sides
2. CHEST—at the nipple line
3. WAIST—midway between your rib cage and the top of your hips
4. HIPS—around the biggest part of your bum
5. THIGH—at the crotch, right and left sides
6. CALF—around the biggest part, right and left sides
I would recommend measuring yourself every four to six weeks, but ultimately it's up to you!
Posted by TARA